An Idea That changed lives of many people by using internet in remote areas of Nepal
After finishing his master degree in Educational Administration at University of Nebraska, Mahabir Pun returned to his birth place, Nangi remote village of Myagdi district. There was zero network availability for people to connect.
But soon he started working on his vision to connect them and now same village is connected to rest of world via wireless computer networks in hills. He changed the face of the whole Nepal itself after that.
He is a passionate social entrepreneur and currently working with Youth under government funded centre : National Innovation Centre , Nepal.
What makes him different?
He is very enthusiastic and keen on helping people. That’s why we can find his name on lot of areas. Pun founded the Nepal Wireless Networking Project in 2002 to build a local communication network using wireless technology to connect people in the Himalayan communities.
He was always eager to bring the Internet to the rural schools, to promote digital literacy and to improve the quality of education.
Right now, he is working as mentor for many young entrepreneurs and skilled manpower in Nepal. He has been involved in Information and Communications Technologies ( ICT ) programmes.
He has, therefore, succeeded not just in creating a self-sustaining educational system, but also a range of new economic and social enterprises to support remote communities
Here is his story in his own words : https://himanchal.org/mahabir-pun/
What are his works?
He has built solid foundation for technological evolution in Nepal.
Few of his remarkable activities are listed below :
Nepal Wireless Networking Projects, 2002
The project was initiated to maximise the use of Information and Communications Technologies ( ICT ) in improving people’s social and economic condition. It introduced the concept of digital literacy and linked rural areas to urban areas.
National Innovation Centre (NIC)
This was established with the aim of fostering a culture of research and development in Nepal. NIC is a non-profit company that will provide full financial support and mentoring to young researchers and innovators working on prototypes.
|2019||Working on National Innovation Center Nepal ( Tribhuvan University )|
|2015||Awarded the Jonathan B. Postel Service Award by the Internet Society|
|2014||Inducted in Internet Hall of Fame|
|2008||Awarded as honorary degree as Doctor of Humane Letters|
|2007||Awarded the Magsaysay Award ( equivalent to Nobel Prize of Asia )|
|2004||Social Innovations Award from Global Ideas Bank|
|2002||Elected Ashoka Fellow by the Ashoka Foundation|
Inspiring Videos :
Do not give me any award, instead you can contribute us your skills and ideas for National Innovation Center, Nepal– Mahabir Pun, Winner of ICT award 2019
Related Blogs :
- Mahabir Pun Wiki
- Himalchal Blog on Mahabir Pun
- Internet of Hall
- Internet Society
- Guthi Blog on Mahabir Pun
- Blogs by OMGNepal
- Biography of Mahabir Pun by ECS/
- Blog from Global College
- “Mahabir Taught 5 years in Himanchal Higher Secondary School”. Himanchal Education Foundation. 2016-09-06. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- “Villages Should be self dependent”. Story Cycle. 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- “Mahabir donates his own land to make Innovation Center possible”. Kantipur Network. 2016-08-01. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- “Village in the clouds embraces computers”. BBC News. 2001-10-22. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- “Internet dream becomes a reality”. BBC News. 2008-11-05. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- “Mahabir Pun – Ashoka.org”. Ashoka Foundation. 2002. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- “Mahabir Pun’s Commencement Address: Dec 2007”. University of Nebraska. 2007-12-21. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- “The 2007 Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership”. Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation. 2007-08-31. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- “Social Innovations Award-Winners 2004”. Global Ideas Bank. 2004-09-20. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- “Mahabir Pun”. Himanchal Educational Foundation. 2008. Retrieved 2010-11-01.